24/02 2024 12:00pm
Get exclusive access to the Blair Street Underground Vaults – the largest system of underground caverns in Edinburgh.
Built in the 18th century beneath South Bridge, we’re the only walking tour company with access. Below the bustle of Edinburgh’s Old Town you’ll discover a dark, damp world unchanged since the 18th century.
Your expert guide will lead you deep into the Blair Street Underground Vaults, and together you’ll explore their history – including how they became home to the city’s most destitute inhabitants.
It’s a story rooted in Edinburgh’s Georgian past – grand feats of engineering, the expansion of the city, and those who were left behind in its darker corners.
But why were the vaults built? And who used them? Your Mercat tour guide, a masterful storyteller, will answer all of your questions as they bring the history of the vaults to life.
Your walking tour will end in our Discovery Room complete with 3D model and artefacts.
- Get exclusive access to the city’s oldest, deepest vaults
- Discover secrets & stories of Edinburgh’s underworld
- See and touch 19th century artefacts
- Visit our Discovery Room with 3D model & display
- Small groups mean tickets are limited. Book in advance for the best price & to guarantee your place
- Choosing Mercat is 'Good for you, Good for Edinburgh' - our team, community and environment