A daytime walking tour of Edinburgh’s most haunted vaults – and we’re the only people with access.
This tour is perfect for a peek into the city’s ghostly past because things don’t only go bump in the night.
The true history of the Blair Street Underground Vaults is terrifying enough – so abandon thoughts of manufactured frights and make-believe. The skill is in the storytelling: the vaults witnessed the deeds of mischief-makers and murderers, vagrants, and torturers. It’s one of Edinburgh’s most haunted sites, where restless spirits still tread.
First, you’ll follow your cloaked Mercat guide through the shadowy closes of Edinburgh’s Old Town. These are dark streets untouched by daylight, filled with a strange silence, their damp walls carrying only the faintest echo of the crowds on the high street you’ve left behind.
With the scene set, you’ll descend into the depths of the city – and listen in horror to its dark and sinister side. Torture. Murder. Hangings. From body snatchers to real-life characters of the city, you’ll be gripped by the true tales that lie hidden beneath Edinburgh’s streets.
Watch out for a cold breath on the back of the neck, a whisper, a flicker – then silence. It’s all the more chilling for being absolutely real: there are no tricks or jump scares on our ghost tours.
- Experience a ghost tour in the safety of the daylight hours
- Get up close to Edinburgh’s haunted past
- Explore the famous Blair Street Underground Vaults
- Small groups mean tickets are limited. Book in advance for the best price & to guarantee your place
- Choosing Mercat is 'Good for you, Good for Edinburgh' - our team, community and environment